This Town Council meeting is a follow-up to the previous 08/02/2010 Study Session. Some highlights:
1) At the 8/2/2010 Study Session, Linda Abbott brought up the idea that the Town of Gilbert should support the Center for the Future of AZ. At tonight’s meeting, Dr. Lattie Coor, Chairman and CEO, gave a presentation on the Center, noting that the Center’s Report, The Arizona We Want, reflects what Arizona citizens want for the future.
You can find more information at www.thearizonawewant.org.
In its Mission Statement, you will find this: "More than a think tank, the center is an independent ‘do tank’ that combines public-policy research with collaborative partnerships and initiatives that serve the public interest and the common good.
Its goal is to help guide and inform the decisions that impact quality of life and opportunities for Arizonans, now and in the future."
2) The Council approved an intergovernmental agreement addendum with the Gilbert County Fire Island District to include mapping services; renewal of a Use Agreement with American Charter School Foundation-Desert Hills High School for Page Park classroom rental. Two change orders were approved relating to a road improvement and for program management services.
3) Linda Abbott asked that a resolution in support of the Center for the Future of AZ be placed on a future council meeting agenda for approval. The item was moved to a future Council meeting.
4) The Council approved a Minor General Plan amendment to change the land use classification/zoning of several parcels located at the SE corner of Elliott and Recker Roads from Community Commercial, Residential, Public Facility/Institutional, Golf course/Cemetery to various residential classifications.
5) Council approved amending an ordinance to permit rentals of Secondary Dwelling units, and to allow them to have full kitchens, etc. (HOA regulations take precedence, however, over this ordinance.)